Prep time: 30 min
Cooking time: 60 min
- 3–4 large bunches kale, washed and leaves removed from ribs
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped into chunks
- ½ medium cauliflower, cut into small chunks
- ½ onion, sliced thinly
- ¼ cup light olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 8 skin-on chicken thighs
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1¼ tsp black pepper
- 1½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1¾ tsp paprika
- lemon wedges for garnishing, if desired
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Toss kale leaves and sweet potato and cauliflower chunks together with oil.
- Evenly spread vegetables in a large baking dish.
- Layer the sliced onion on top of the veggies. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine sea salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and paprika and mix well.
- Sprinkle half the seasoning on the bottom of the chicken thighs.
- Layer the chicken on top of the vegetables in the baking dish.
- Sprinkle the remaining seasoning over the top of the chicken thighs.
- Cover dish with lid or foil and bake for 25 min.
- Remove cover and roast for another 35 min, or until the chicken is cooked (the internal temperature should be about 75°C) and the vegetables are tender.
- Serve with lemon wedges, if desired.
- Both boneless and bone-in chicken thighs work for this recipe.
- Feel free to use other chicken pieces besides thighs, but using skin-on pieces makes for more flavourful chicken.
- Toss in other vegetables like bell pepper or carrot or stick with all kale if you don’t want a veggie mix.
- Toss in garlic cloves with the skins still on to roast along with the chicken and vegetables and you’ll have creamy roasted garlic to go with your meal!
- Don’t worry if the pan is really full when it’s ready to go in the oven. I pack a lot of kale into my pan, but it cooks down and everything will be about half the height it was when it went in.
- For detailed instructions – with images – on how to make this recipe, check out the recipe on my website.