Miso is a flavour-packed ingredient that is good for so much more than just soup. Grilled miso salmon fillets are quick to prepare, tasty, healthy and perfect for any night of the week!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 6 salmon fillets (about 680g total)
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1½ tbsp miso paste
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp light olive oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce (can substitute tamari or liquid aminos)
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp honey
- In a small saucepan, toast the sesame seeds over medium heat for about 3–4 minutes, until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly.
- In a small bowl, combine the miso paste, mirin, olive oil, soy sauce, ginger, garlic and honey. Stir in the toasted sesame seeds.
- Preheat the grill (see the recipe notes for baking vs grilling).
- Coat the salmon fillets in the miso sauce and place on a parchment- or foil-lined baking tray. If using salmon fillets with the skin on, place them skin side up.
- Grill a few inches away from the heating element for 10 minutes, watching closely so that the salmon does not burn.
- Serve with steamed rice and leafy green vegetables.
- If you have large salmon fillets, cut them into serving-sized portions so that they cook evenly.
- If baking instead of grilling, preheat your oven to 220°C and bake for 8–10 minutes in the centre of the oven.
- The cooking time might need to be adjusted depending on how thick your salmon fillets are.
- You can purchase toasted sesame seeds if you do not want to toast your own.
- This recipe works perfectly with skinless salmon fillets as well as skin-on fillets.
- For detailed instructions – with images – on how to make this recipe, check out the recipe on my website.