Arguably, carbonara is the most:
- typical dish of Rome
- popular pasta sauce around the world
- imitated Italian dish
- counterfeited Italian recipe
The origin of this extremely popular pasta dish is vague and widely discussed. There are several theories surrounding its origin, but all are anecdotal. However, given the name of the dish, it can be guessed that it might have been a popular comfort food for coal workers, translated as carbonari in Italian.
No matter its origin, carbonara never fails to capture the hearts of foodies worldwide. Its success is not surprising: who can resist a dish of pasta cooked al dente, served hot and coated in a smooth, creamy, rich sauce?
Your hunt for the finest carbonara in Hong Kong is over! ilBelPaese takes the challenge to serve you the best carbonara – for only HK$60 – during one week in September (11–17).
Quiz for the Foodie Community
Are you a true carbonara fan? Take our carbonara quiz!
1. Carbonara sauce goes best with which type of pasta?
2. Egg is an important ingredient in carbonara. Which part of the egg is used?
- Yolk and white
- Shell, yolk and white
3. Which cheese is used in carbonara?
4. The crispy meat bits in carbonara are:
- Guanciale (cured pork cheek)
- Pancetta (cured pork belly)
- Lingua (cured pork tongue)
5. To obtain a creamier carbonara, you should whisk in:
- Leftover water used for cooking the pasta
6. Before serving, finish the dish with a generous pinch of:
- coarse black pepper
- coarse sea salt
- fresh oregano
At your next visit to ilBelPaese is Casa Rinaldi in Sheung Wan, find Corporate Chef Simone Bianchi for the correct answers. Hurry – Chef Simone is waiting!
299 Queen‘s Road Central, Sheung Wan, 2528 2200, email@example.com