Serves: 4 portions
Prep Time: 35 mins
- 1 orange
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups milk or almond milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup instant polenta or fine cornmeal
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1 tablespoon cacao nibs
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- Zest the orange to get 1 1/2 teaspoons; set the zest aside. Remove the rest of the peel and white pith with a sharp knife.
- Working over a bowl, cut the segments from their surrounding membranes. Set aside for garnish.
- Combine water, milk and salt in a large heavy saucepan and bring to a boil. Gradually whisk in polenta (or cornmeal) and return to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low to maintain an even bubble and whisk until the polenta thickens, 1 to 5 minutes (depending on what type you’re using). Remove from the heat, add the berries, cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
Optional: if you like a dip, simply whisk:
- 1/4 cup mascarpone (Italian cream cheese) OR French crème magre (3 % fat)
- 1/4 cup natural yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon raw honey or raw agave
Mix in a small bowl and serve on the side.
Serve immediately and enjoy this gluten free breakfast!
Nutrition Nation Tip: can be kept in the fridge for 4-5 days. If you'd like to reheat it, you may need to add a bit more liquid though, as it will settle and become thicker.