Prep time: 15 min
Cooking time: 10 min
- 2 yellow bell peppers
- 1 ciabatta loaf (preferably slightly stale)
- 1kg mixed fresh tomatoes
- ¼ red onion
- 1 bunch fresh basil, leaves torn
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- 1 ball fresh mozzarella
- Begin by cooking the bell peppers over a gas flame or BBQ to chargrill the outside until the skin turns black. Place the charred peppers into a bowl and cover with cling film for 10 min. Remove the cling film and begin to pull the skin from the peppers. Slice the peppers into strips and set aside.
- Cut the ciabatta into 1-in cubes and toss with a little olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and place into a preheated oven at 180ºC for 10 min, or until crisp and golden.
- Cut the tomatoes into slices, halves and then quarters and place into a large mixing bowl. Slice the red onion and add to the tomatoes along with the freshly torn basil leaves and cooled, sliced charred peppers. Add the cooled ciabatta croutons.
- In a separate bowl, mix the olive oil with the white wine vinegar and add a good pinch of salt and pepper to season. Pour the dressing over the rest of the ingredients and toss to combine.
- Serve the panzanella salad on a large platter and tear over chunks of milky mozzarella and additional fresh basil leaves.