Prep time: 5 min
Cooking time: 20 min
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 80g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1–2 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 stem fresh basil, chopped (leaves only)
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- ½ glass red wine
- ½ small tin (425g) tomato sauce
- 250–300g gnocchi
- ½ cup fresh ricotta cheese
- grated Parmesan cheese
- chopped basil
- 1–2 tbsp toasted garlic breadcrumbs
- Preheat a saucepan on medium heat with a generous amount of olive oil. Cook the bell pepper and onion for a few minutes. Add the cherry tomatoes, garlic, dried oregano, basil and chilli flakes and season to taste.
- Place a lid on for a few minutes to allow the vegetables to cook, then add the red wine. After the alcohol has evaporated, stir in the tomato sauce along with ½ cup water. Cook, covered, for about 15 min on medium-low heat. Stir occasionally. Turn off the heat. Use a hand blender to blend the sauce in the pan and set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of salted water to the boil. Cook the gnocchi until they float to the top of the water. Use a strainer to remove the cooked gnocchi and place them directly into the pan with the blended sauce.
- Reheat the pan and mix in the fresh ricotta. Serve immediately with grated Parmesan, chopped basil and toasted garlic breadcrumbs.