ክክ፡ወጥ (Kik Wot)
Yellow Split Peas Wot
(Serves 4 as a side or 2 as a main)
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
- 1 cup of yellow split peas
- 4 cups of water
- 2 medium sized finely chopped onions
- (white onion or preferably 2 cups of shallots)
- ½ cup of canola/vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1 teaspoon of fresh minced garlic
- ½ jalapeno pepper for garnish
- (seeds removed & halved length ways)
- Sea salt
- Rinse the split peas in cold water and drain.
- Boil split peas and water in a sauce pan (boiling at all times) for 20 minutes (split peas should be cooked but not mushy!). Remove from heat and let cool. Remove any skin from the water.
- In a saucepan cook the onions by adding oil for 20 minutes simmering and stirring occasionally (if needed add a splash of hot water to prevent burning).
- Add the garlic and turmeric, cook for a further 15minutes.
- Add the split peas and simmer stirring occasionally (not too often so that it doesn’t get too mushy) for another 15minutes. (If you’d like to serve it as a soup you can add hot water while it simmers).
- Garnish with Jalapeno pepper and salt to taste.
Tip: Traditionally served with Ethiopian flat bread 'Injera' but may eat with any type of bread or simply enjoy as a warming soup.
Note: Yellow split lentils can be found in City Super or in most Indian or Pakistani shops.