This article originally appeared in the latest June edition of Foodie: The Foodie Forks. Read it here!
Chef Steve Chou at Bungalow gives us his best dishes for wowing guests at your next sit down soirée.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 200g white leeks, finely chopped
- 100g US potatoes, finely sliced
- 1 tsp shop-bought, preserved horseradish (not creamed)
- fresh horseradish (optional, for garnish)
Garnish (for one)
- handful diced ham (preferably French boiler ham)
- handful diced celery, blanched
- handful fried potatoes
- handful croutons
- handful roasted shiitake mushroom
- Sweat the leeks in a little oil in a saucepan for a few minutes before adding the thinly sliced potatoes. Add enough water to cover the vegetables in the pan and cook for a few minutes.
- Once the vegetables are soft, blend until smooth. The soup should be the same consistency as chowder; you can thin it out with milk if necessary.
- Add the preserved horseradish and season with salt and pass the soup through a strainer.
- Sauté all the garnish ingredients in a little oil for a few minutes.
- Serve velouté with sautéed garnish ingredients and a grating of fresh horseradish to finish.