This article originally appeared in the latest September issue of Foodie: Cooking with Jamie Oliver. Read it here!
Serves: 8 to 10
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
- 100g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 250g wholemeal flour
- 50g pinhead oatmeal
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 large free-range egg
- 300ml tub buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 190°C. Lightly dust a baking tray with flour.
- Mix together the flour, pinhead oatmeal, bicarbonate of soda, salt and sugar.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg and the buttermilk.
- Using a fork, slowly add the egg mixture to the flour and use your hands to pat and pull it into a soft, sticky dough.
- Shape the dough into a round ball and place it onto the floured baking tray. Flatten the dough slightly into a disc roughly 6 to 7cm thick.
- Score a cross into the top of the bread with the blunt edge of a knife and place the tray on the middle shelf of the hot oven for 50 to 60 minutes, or until golden and a firm crust has formed
- To check if it’s done, tap the bottom – if it sounds hollow it’s ready, if not cook for a little longer. Place on a wire cooling rack to cool before slicing.