This article originally appeared in the latest September issue of Foodie: Cooking with Jamie Oliver. Read it here!
Cooking time: 1hr 15 mins
- 25g hazelnuts
- 125g cold unsalted butter
- 250g plain flour
- 25g rolled oats
- 75g Demerara sugar
- 4 apples
- 500g fresh blackberries
- 1 tbsp golden caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Lightly crush the hazelnuts in a pestle and mortar.
- Cut the cold butter into rough cubes, then add to a large mixing bowl with the flour.
- Use your fingertips to lightly rub the butter and flour together until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the oats, Demerara sugar and crushed hazelnuts, then mix everything together.
- Peel the apples and cut each into 6 even-sized pieces, removing the core.
- Put the apple pieces and blackberries into a baking dish (roughly 18cm x 24cm), then sprinkle over with the caster sugar and mix well to coat the fruit.
- Sprinkle the topping evenly over the fruit, then bake in the oven for 40 to 50 minutes, or until the top is nicely golden and the edges are bubbling.
- Serve with natural yogurt or homemade custard.