This article originally appeared in the October 2015 Issue: Craving Comfort. Read it here!
- 600g carrots, peeled and grated
- 140g split red lentils
- 2 tsps cumin seeds
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 ltr vegetable stock
- 125ml milk
- 50g chickpeas (cooked and patted dry)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- plain yoghurt
- In a large saucepan, dry toast the cumin seeds and chilli flakes for a minute until they release their aromas. Take a spoonful of the seeds out of the pan and set aside for later.
- To the remaining toasted seeds, add 2 tbsps of olive oil, the grated carrot, lentils, stock and milk. Stir to combine and bring to the boil. Reduce the temperature to medium and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the lentils are cooked through and softened.
- To make the chickpea garnish, toss chickpeas with 1 tbsp olive oil and the ground spices. Season with salt and pepper and bake in a preheated oven at 200 C for 25-30 minutes or until crisp and toasted.
- Using a stick blender or food processor, blitz the soup until smooth and creamy. Season with salt and pepper and spoon into bowls. Serve with a swirl of plain yoghurt, a few roasted chickpeas and a sprinkle of the remaining toasted spices.