This article originally appeared in the November 2015 Issue: Hosting the Holidays. Read it here!
Invisible Kitchen gives us their perfect recipe for brussels sprouts.
“This recipe transforms the stuff of childhood nightmares into a buttery, delicious dream.”
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts
- 200g unsmoked bacon
- 150g cooked chestnuts
- 6 shallots or 1 red onion
- 75g butter
- Sea salt and white pepper
- Chopped parsley
- Bring a large pan of salted water to a big, rolling boil.
- Trim the bigger, outer tough leaves from the sprouts, trim the bottom and cut a small cross in the base of each one. If your sprouts are of very different sizes, split into small and big batches to boil separately.
- Add sprouts to the rapidly boiling water. Cook until just tender, around 3-5 minutes for small sprouts. Remove and chill in cold water, to help keep their green colour, then drain once cool.
- Slice the sprouts to ½ cm thick.
- Dice your bacon and fry on a low / medium heat in a frying pan until crispy brown. Slice the red onion and fry with the bacon, then chop the chestnuts and add them to the pan. Add plenty of butter and some chopped parsley. Add your sprouts and warm through, then mix and serve.