Pavlova with red fruit and lychees
- 100g egg white (old)
- 200g granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp tartar cream
- Red colouring (optional)
- Cream lychee
- 100g mascarpone
- 500ml cream 35%
- 100ml lychee liquor
- 10 fresh or canned lychees, drained if canned
- 300g raspberries
- 4 pieces passion fruit coulis
- 200g blueberries
- 1 bunch fresh mint leaves
- Preheat the oven to 180° C. Line a baking sheet with baking parchment and draw a rough 25cm diameter circle on it with a cake tin. Whisk the egg whites until satiny peaks form, then whisk in the sugar, one tablespoon at a time, until the meringue is stiff and shiny.
- Sprinkle the sugar and vanilla extract over the egg white, and fold in lightly with a metal spoon. Mound the meringue on to the baking parchment within the circle and using a spatula, flatten the top and smooth the sides.
- Put in the oven and reduce the heat to 120°C. Cook for an hour, then turn off the oven and leave to cool completely. Once cooled, take the meringue disc out. The meringue discs can be kept in an airtight container for a couple of days or you can freeze them for up to a month.
- When you are ready to assemble the pavlova, invert the cooled meringue disc onto a large plate or a stand to be served on, and peel off the baking parchment.
- Whip the cream until thickened but it should remain soft, and pile onto the meringue.
- Cut the passionfruit in half. Scoop out the seeds and any pulp and juice into a bowl. Peel the fresh lychees (if using) over the bowl to catch any juice, then remove the stones, tear the lychees into pieces and let them drop into the passionfruit.
- Tear the drained, canned lychees (if using) likewise, and drop them in too.
- Leave the passionfruit and lychees sitting in their bowl for now.
- Dollop the cream-topped pavlova with the passionfruit and lychees, raspberries, blueberries and mint leaves
- Make ahead tip: Make the meringue disc and store in a deep airtight container for up to 2 days. About 3-4 hours before serving, top with whipped cream and keep in the fridge. Just before serving, add the fruit and raspberry sauce.