This article originally appeared in the February 2016 Issue of Foodie: Beautiful Bakes
Prep time: 20 mins plus 3 hours proving time
Baking time: 20 mins
Makes: One dozen
- 70ml water
- 175g strong white bread flour
- 75g cake flour
- 30g white sugar
- 5g salt
- 7g dry yeast
- 2 eggs
- 120ml full fat milk
- 80g soft butter
- A few sprigs of thyme
- Handful of cherry tomatoes
- Olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- Pinch salt
- 1 egg for egg wash
- Bring the water to a boil and add 15g of the flour. Cook while continuously stirring with a whisk.
- Add the rest of the ingredients in the dough mixer, including the warm cooked flour and knead until a smooth dough is formed. Add a few sprigs of thyme leaves and allow the dough to rest for 1 hour.
- Divide the dough into balls, roughly 45g each. Place in brioche moulds and allow to prove for about 2 hours.
- Toss cherry tomatoes with olive oil, garlic, salt and thyme on a roasting tray. Roast in the oven at 160°C for about 25 minutes.
- When brioche is ready to bake, brush buns with an egg wash and carefully poke holes in the buns with your fingers. Place the roasted tomatoes in the holes and bake at 185°C for about 20 minutes. These are best enjoyed warm!