Braised Pork Ribs in Young Coconut Juice
Prep time: 40 mins
Cooking time: 60 mins
- 3 red shallots, finely diced
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 3 tbsp oyster sauce
- 8 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp pepper
- 4 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1kg pork ribs, cut into 3 cm pieces
- 80g palm sugar
- 600ml young coconut juice
- 1 brown onion, sliced
- Coriander sprigs to garnish
- Combine shallots, fish sauce, oyster sauce, sugar, salt, pepper and half the garlic in a metal bowl. Stir to dissolve the sugar. Add the ribs and really work in the marinade. Set aside for 30 mins. Drain the pork ribs and reserve the marinade.
- In a wok filled with enough oil to submerge the pork ribs, fry until nicely golden brown. Place on paper towels to drain off excess oil.
- Heat the palm sugar in a pot until it caramelises, then pour in the marinade. Stir. Add the pork ribs and the coconut juice and bring to a simmer. Braise until tender, approx 30 to 40 mins. Take out the pork ribs if needed and reduce the liquid to a half glaze consistency.
- Put the pork ribs back into the pot and add the onion and the remaining garlic.
- Garnish with coriander sprigs and serve.