Earlier this month, the international wine community gathered to celebrate the world's finest wines and spirits, as decided by an elite panel of Asia's top wine professionals.
The dazzling gala awards ceremony presented 53 trophies to top wines and spirits from around the globe, categorised by region, variety and food and wine pairing. The highly anticipated event was hosted by HKIWSC's founding directors, Allen Gibbons, Debra Meiburg and Simon Tam, and attended by media, local importers and country dignitaries.
The challenging task of delivering a verdict on wine and spirit entries from over 31 countries was gracefully tackled by a record number of 40 expert judges, all of whom are major influencers on the Asian wine and spirit market. First-time entrants included Brazil, England, Mexico, Vietnam and Hong Kong itself.
Australia led the charge with 10 trophies (and a whopping 438 medals), followed by New Zealand with 10. Portugal and Austria were notable contenders, with Portugal and Austria winning 109 and 29 medals respectively.
Wine Varietal Trophies
- Australian Vintage Limited for Best Riesling (McGuigan Shortlist Riesling 2008), Best Chardonnay (Nepenthe Ithaca Chardonnay 2015) and Best Semillon (McGuigan Bin 9000 Semillion 2007)
Regional Wine Trophies
- Best Wine from France: Royal Orchid Wine HK Limited Château de Saint Cosme Gigondas 2013
- Best Wine from Spain: Bodegas Protos Reserva 2011
- Best Wine from Argentina: Grupo Peñaflor Finca Las Moras Paz Cabernet Sauvignon Cabernet Franc 2015
- Best Wine from Chile: Viña Faleria SA Viña Falernia Titon Single Vineyard Syrah 2013
- Best Wine from Germany: Hiestand Weingut & Hofbrennerei Asia de Cuba 2015
Best Style Categories
- Best Sake: Tanizakura-shuzo Co. Sakurasakura Junmai Daiginjo 2015
- Best Dessert Wine: Weinkellerei Lenz Moser Ag Lenz Moser Prestige Trockenbeerenauslese 2015
- Crown Wine Cellars Best Sparkling Wine: Champagne Charles Heidsieck Blanc des Millénaires 1995
Best Wine at Key Price Point
Asian Food & Wine Pairing Trophies
A unique category at this competition is identifying the best wines to complement different Asian cuisines. Because of the complex flavours and spices used in Asian dishes, the results in this category were more than a little unexpected. Foodie was fortunate to participate in the judging alongside the wine pros.
- Best Wine with Wagyu Beef Teppanyaki: Hallman Pty Ltd Eden Hall Springton Shiraz 2015
- Best Wine with Cantonese Braised Brisket: Bird in Hand Winery Bird in Hand Nest Egg Shiraz 2013
- Best Wine with Crystal King Prawn with Parma Ham: Domäne Wachau Grüner Veltliner Smaragd Achleiten 2015
- Best Wine with Singapore Chilli Crab: Hiestand Weingut & Hofbrennerei Asia De Cuba 2015
- Best Wine with Sashimi: Tamanohikari Junmai Ginjo Shukon 2015
- Best Wine with Kai Ho Bai Toei (Fried Chicken in Pandan Leaf): Marisco Vineyards The King's Bastard Chardonnay 2015
- Hong Kong Best Wine with Honey-Glazed Char Siu: Yealand Estate Single Vineyard Pinot Noir 2015
- Best Wine with Grilled Unagi (Eel): CVR Lisboa Mulderbosch Faithful Hound Red 2014
- Best Wine with Smoked Pigeon with Oolong Tea Leaves: CVR Lisboa Mulderbosch Vineyards Faithful Hound Red 2014
- Best Wine with Murgh Makhani (Butter Chicken): Kwong Tai Sealand Products Co Ltd Val du Charron Black Countess 2013
- Best Wine with Tod Man Pla (Thai Fish Cakes with Sweet Chilli Sauce): Siam Winery .
Young Communicator of the Year
Alongside trophies and medals for the world's top wines and spirits, a Young Communicator of the Year accolade – created in 2013 to recognise an Asian-based individual or team that has made a marked impact on the communication of wines and/or spirits in their country over the past year – was awarded to Oliver Zhou, marketing director of vinehoo.com.
The full list of winners can be found here.