This looks fantastic when made with black quinoa, but use red or white if you prefer. Serves four as a small meal or six as a side salad.
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup black quinoa
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- 4 cups baby spinach leaves
- ¾ cup crumbled light feta
- ¼ cup sliced red onion
- 1 pomegranate, seeded
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring the water and quinoa to boil in a saucepan. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and leave the covered saucepan on the hob for another 6 minutes. Fluff with a fork and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Spread the almonds on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for about 5–7 minutes, until they are fragrant and lightly browned.
- Divide the spinach into 4 large or 6 smaller servings. Evenly sprinkle the feta, onion, quinoa, pomegranate seeds and toasted almonds over the individual salads.
- Whisk the vinegar, oil, honey and mustard together in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salads and serve.
Recipe copyright Patricia Green & Carolyn Hemming (www.patriciaandcarolyn.com)