There is much reason to celebrate when October comes to Hong Kong, bringing with it cooler temperatures, Halloween and, above all, Oktoberfest! This renowned German beer festival is a guaranteed good time, and like every year, Oktoberfest is back at Happy Valley Racecourse. Happy Wednesday’s four weeks of Oktoberfest is full of fun and fashionable people, traditional Bavarian music performed by musicians from Munich’s Notenhobler, German sausages and pretzels and plenty of great beer.
The four-week party begins on Thursday, 5 October 2017, followed by three consecutive Wednesdays the rest of the month. Opening the Oktoberfest party is a toast by special guest Karsten Tietz, Deputy Consulate General, and Hong Kong Jockey Club’s CEO, Winfried Engelbrecht-Bresges.
Join the party for free (and get free beer too!)
If you register via this link, you’ll not only get free admission, but you’ll also be entitled to a free beer when you arrive to get your night started off right.
Oktoberfest bites and beer
Racegoers can enjoy German trackside fare such as roasted pork knuckle with sauerkraut ($125), mixed sausages with sauerkraut ($75), fried sage-garlic brined pork schnitzel ($68), braised beef brisket in dunkel with thick chips ($60), meatballs in tomato sauce and thick chips with sour cream ($60), sauerkraut and German mustard hot dog ($60), pretzel with obatzda dip ($45), as well as raceside refreshment with 14 beer brands including Löwenbräu, Acrobräu Urfass, Paulaner and Erdinger Dunkel.
For four weeks, get in on the fun:
- Beer pong challenge: you know the drill – just throw three ping-pong balls into any of the plastic cups as fast as possible
- Boxing arcade: punch the kiosk as hard as you can and test your strength
- Hold the beer: see just how long you can hold one litre of beer, with straight arms! Finalists get to compete onstage.
Cash and other superb prizes are up for grabs. Get your hands on other giveaways too.
Best photo contest
Every single week, there is one lucky winner who takes home the big prize of the night in the weekly photo contest. This continues with a giveaway with flights to Tokyo, Japan, on 5 October, Taipei, Taiwan, on 11 and 25 October and Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, on 18 October.
How to win:
To automatically be entered into every single Happy Wednesday best photo contest, please:
1. Follow Hong Kong Airlines (@hkairlines) and Happy Wednesday (@happywednesdayhk)
2. Upload your photos with #HappyWednesdayHK, #GoRacingHK, #WherePartiesBegin and #HKAirlines on Instagram (set profile to ”public“ so that we can see your photos)
3. Check your IG inbox to see if you’re a winner – winners will receive a private message from @happywednesdayhk
- A pair of complimentary adrenaline drink tickets
- And/or a pair of round-trip flight tickets, courtesy of Hong Kong Airlines
For more details, click here.
Racecourse entrants must be aged 18 or above. Remember: don’t gamble your life away.