Chef Adam Penney shares the secrets of his famous Three Buns burger for your next at-home BBQ.
Prep time: 15 min
Cooking time: 10 min
For the burger:
- 150g beef patty (80:20 fat blend)
- good-quality ketchup
- 1 slice mature Cheddar cheese
- 1 Roma tomato
- hamburger bun, brioche or wholemeal bread
- baby romaine leaves
- burger sauce mayonnaise (see below)
- kosher salt
- 2 tbsp water
Burger sauce mayonnaise:
- 2 egg yolks
- 6g grated garlic
- 15g Dijon mustard
- 35g creamed horseradish
- 45g ketchup
- 26g wholegrain mustard
- 12g malt vinegar
- 3g toasted and ground caraway seed
- 3g sugar
- 6g kosher salt
- 200g corn oil
- To make the sauce, set aside the corn oil, then add the rest of the ingredients to a bowl or food processor.
- Whisk until all the ingredients are mixed. Slowly start incorporating the oil, whisking all the time. The mayo can be made in advance and kept in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Heat a grill or frying pan until it’s hot but not smoking. Wash the romaine and tomato and pat-dry. Slice the tomato and set aside with the lettuce.
- Season the patty on one side with salt. Place the seasoned side on the grill, gently pressing down with a spatula to ensure that the meat is flat. Season the top with salt, leave for 90 seconds, carefully flip over the patty, leave for another 90 seconds, remove the patty from the grill, rest the meat on a plate and turn down the heat on the grill.
- Cut the bun in half, toast the bun on the grill and let the bun soak up the fat from the beef. Toast until golden; you can keep turning the bun to toast both sides. Keep the bun in a warm place. Wipe the grill clean and turn up the heat again.
- Once hot, place the patty back on the grill and turn after 30 seconds. Top with the cheese slice and cover with a bowl, adding the water just before the bowl goes down. After 30 seconds, remove the bowl and take the cheeseburger off the grill. The cheese should have melted, blanketing the patty.
- To build the burger, spread ketchup on the bottom bun. Top with sliced gherkins, the beef patty, sliced tomato, lettuce, a spoon of burger sauce mayo and crown with the top bun.
For more recipes like this, like Foodie on Facebook