Serves: 4 kids
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- berries, chocolate chips and any other chosen face decorations
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients into a smooth batter.
- Pour the batter into a squeeze bottle and “draw” your desired shape onto a greased non-stick pan. For a cat face, simply squeeze one large circle for the face, one small oval for the nose, two triangles for the ears and four strips for the whiskers.
- Cook in the pan until slightly brown, then remove.
- Decorate with berries or chocolate chips and serve.
Tip: you can also draw your child’s name or other easy shapes like hearts, stars and moons if you’re not ready to try animals just yet.
Hello Jello Wedges
Makes: approximately 20 wedges
Prep time: 15 minutes
Chill time: 2 hours
- 3 oranges
- 450ml apple juice
- 10g plain gelatin
- food colouring (optional)
- Wash the oranges and cut in half. Cut out the flesh with a spoon (make sure not to pierce any part of the orange peel or else the gelatin will leak through).
- Place each gutted orange half in a segment of a muffin tray.
- In a small saucepan, heat the apple juice and dissolve the gelatin. Add food colouring, if desired.
- Fill each orange-peel half with the gelatin mixture and refrigerate for at least two hours. Carefully slice into wedges and serve.
Rice Krispies Paintbrushes
Prep time: 1 hour
- 200g (1 box) Rice Krispies
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 600g (3 bags) mini marshmallows
- 200g white chocolate
- food colouring (3 colours) + wooden lolly sticks
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter and marshmallows until a smooth paste forms.
- Add the Rice Krispies and mix well.
- On an oiled baking tray, spread the mixture to about 1½ inches thick. Use the oiled back of a spoon to even it out. Let cool.
- Once cooled, cut into 12 three-inch rectangles. Insert a wooden stick into the bottom of each.
- In another saucepan, melt the white chocolate until it’s soft and creamy. Separate into three small bowls and add the desired food colouring to each. Dip each “brush” into the “paint” and set aside to dry.
Frozen Fruit Pops
Prep time: 15 minutes
Freeze time: overnight
- 2 cups guava juice
- 2 cups grape or berry juice
- ½ cup raspberries
- ½ cup blueberries
- 4 ice lolly moulds
- Wash the berries and drain.
- Place the desired amount of blueberries in each of four ice lolly moulds and top with the grape or berry juice. Place the ice lolly covers on top.
- Repeat this process with the raspberries and guava juice.
- Freeze lollies overnight.
These recipes appeared originally in the October 2012 issue of Foodie Magazine