Prep time: 20 min
Cooking time: 10 min
- 750g floury potatoes
- 600g cod fillet
- 500ml whole milk
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- zest of 1 lemon
- handful of fresh parsley, chopped
- handful of fresh mint, chopped
- 150g frozen peas
- 100g plain flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 200g golden breadcrumbs
For the lemon and dill mayo:
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- Peel the potatoes, cut in half and boil in a pot of salted water for 15–20 minutes, or until soft. When the potatoes are almost cooked, add the frozen peas to the boiling water and allow to cook for a few more minutes. Drain and place the potatoes and peas into a large mixing bowl.
- Whilst the potatoes boil, place the milk into a saucepan, season with salt and pepper and bring gently to the boil. Once the milk is boiling, add the fish fillets to the pan and reduce the heat to medium. Cook gently for 5–10 minutes, or until the fish is translucent and cooked through. Once cooked, remove from the pan, peel the fish flesh away from the skin and flake the fillets into a separate bowl.
- Once the peas and potatoes have been placed in the mixing bowl, add in 3 tablespoons butter, the mustard, lemon zest, chopped herbs and plenty of salt and pepper to season. Use a potato masher to mash the ingredients until well combined. Lastly, add in the flaked fish and mix well through the potato mix.
- To make the fishcakes, place the flour, beaten eggs and breadcrumbs into three separate bowls. Take a handful of the fishcake mixture and shape into a patty. Cover in flour, then coat well with beaten egg before finally covering in breadcrumbs. Place onto a clean plate and repeat these steps with the rest of the mixture.
- To make the lemon and dill mayo, place all the ingredients into a bowl and mix well, adding a twist of salt and pepper to season.
- To cook the fishcakes, add a little oil and 1 tablespoon butter to a frying pan and heat gently. Add the fishcakes to the pan and cook over medium heat for 5–10 minutes, or until crisp and golden on each side and warmed through.
- Serve the fishcakes with some salad and a good spoonful of the lemon and dill mayo.