Recipe and image courtesy Zar’s Kitchen
Liver is not only one of the healthiest of organ meats, but it also cooks so quickly. It’s rich in vitamins A, B12 and C, iron and selenium.
You can help to stop food waste by using organ meats like liver, which are often discarded as scraps, in delicious recipes like this one.
- 800g liver of choice (chicken, lamb or calf), chopped into bite-sized pieces
- avocado oil, for cooking
- 1 onion, sliced
- ½ tsp minced ginger
- ½ tsp crushed garlic
- 25 curry leaves
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 green chillies, chopped finely
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tomatoes, chopped finely
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- 1 handful fresh coriander leaves, chopped, plus extra for serving
- ½ lime, juiced
- sliced red onion, to serve
- lime wedges, to serve
- keto coconut wraps, to serve
- Sauté the onion on medium-high heat with a little avocado oil until it just starts to caramelise and brown.
- Add the ginger, garlic, curry leaves, mustard seeds and green chillies and continue to cook for a few minutes.
- Add the chilli powder, cumin, coriander, turmeric and salt and cook the spices for another few minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and spring onions and sauté for another few minutes, until you see oil releasing from the mixture and a thick paste forming.
- Add the chopped liver and mix to combine well. Cook the liver until it’s no longer pink inside, but be careful not to overcook it or else the liver will become rubbery. This should take about 8–10 minutes.
- Add the freshly chopped coriander, lime juice and sliced red onion right before serving.
- Serve hot with keto coconut wraps and lime wedges.
For more recipes like this, like Foodie on Facebook