Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 40-50 mins
- 1 whole chicken, jointed and cut into 8 pieces
- 1 onion
- 4-6 cloves garlic
- 3-4 tbsp rice wine
- 4 squares fermented tofu (腐乳)
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 3 ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 chillies (optional)
- 1 bunch green beans, 3 inch pieces
- 1 large or several small aubergines, sliced into 1 inch pieces
- Chopped coriander and spring onion to finish (optional)
- In a large casserole dish, brown the chicken (I did it in 2 batches). Fry the onions gently and when they are golden, add the garlic and deglaze the pot with the rice wine.
- Mash up the fermented tofu with a spoon and add with the chicken back into the pot with the soy, mirin, sugar and oyster sauce with enough water to barely cover the chicken. Add the tomatoes, bay leaves and chillies (if using) to the pot and simmer on low/medium heat with the lid on for 25 mins until chicken is tender.
- Add the green beans and aubergines and cook until vegetables are tender, around 5-7 min.
- Serve with coriander and spring onion.
- You can use chicken thighs instead of using a whole chicken or duck, but double up the cooking time.
- Use any vegetables you like: pumpkin, mushrooms, peppers, carrots and spinach are good additions too.