Beetroot is a great staple in any salad, but the beauty with this ingredient is its flexibility. See how our pocket-sized foodie, Rhoda from @platesandbubbles, turns this humble vegetable into a delicious stew!
Prep time: 10–15 min
Cooking time: 20–30 min
- 200g British Angus fillet steak, cubed
- 2 bulbs beetroot, grated
- 300g chopped tomatoes
- ½ cup water
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp chilli powder (optional)
- handful chopped spinach
- crumbled feta cheese (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- olive oil, for frying
- Season the beef cubes with salt and pepper. In a pan with some olive oil, quickly fry the seasoned cubes with the shallots, 30 sec each side, then set aside.
- In the same pan, fry the garlic and add all the dry spices, cooking for a few minutes until fragrant.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and let simmer for about 2 min. Then add the grated beetroot and water and let simmer on very low heat for about 10 min, stirring occasionally.
- Return the half-cooked beef cubes to the sauce and simmer for another 5–10 min, stirring regularly.
- Once the sauce has reduced, add the spinach and cook for another 1–2 min before turning off the heat.
- If desired, serve with some crumbled feta on top.
Haven’t tried meatmarket.hk yet? Get 10% off when you use the MEATROOKIE discount!
meatmarket.hk is a customised online butcher and grocery service – cut to order, how you want it and when you want it. They support good ingredients that are produced locally and around the world such as hormone- and chemical-free meat items and sustainably sourced seafood with certifications.
meatmarket.hk has also created a space in their food factory to support and encourage FoodPreneurs looking to take that next step. Their co-share kitchen offers a generous commercial space to produce fabulous dishes and host product and cooking demonstrations, cooking classes, culinary workshops, private parties and more.