Enjoy these bite-sized mini quiches made with fresh spring greens anytime and anywhere!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- ½ medium onion, chopped finely
- 1 cup (80g) chopped leek
- 150g asparagus, cut into small bits
- ½ cup (75g) fresh peas
- 150–200g cooked spinach, cut into small chunks (if using fresh spinach, blanch for around 1 minute, rinse in cold water to stop the cooking process and then squeeze out any excess water)
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup (250ml) milk
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 package frozen filo pastry, at room temperature
- 2 knobs butter (around 30g), 1 knob at room temperature and 1 knob melted
- 50g grated Parmesan cheese
- chopped flat-leaf parsley, to serve
- Using a 12-cup muffin tin, smear the room-temperature butter around each muffin cup.
- Unfold the filo pastry sheet and evenly cut out 12 squares or rounds. Place 1 filo piece into each muffin cup and press down with your fingers. Use a fork to prick the bottom layer of dough in each cup. Brush the dough with the melted butter (feel free to use egg white as an alternative to prevent a soggy crust).
- Preheat oven to 200ºC.
- Sauté the onion, leek, asparagus and peas in a pan on medium heat with some cooking oil. Season to taste and let cool a bit.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs until they are well combined. Add the milk, cooked veggies (including the spinach), nutmeg and paprika and season to taste.
- Pour the filling into each muffin cup, ⅔ of the way full. Sprinkle some grated Parmesan on top of each. Bake for about 20–25 minutes. Let the mini quiches cool for about 10 minutes. Sprinkle over some freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley before serving.