Servings: 4 persons (around 20 wontons total)
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25-30 minutes
- 500g baby bok choy, chopped into small bits
- 100g soybean skin, chopped into small bits
- 50g baby corn, chopped into small bits
- 50g long green beans, chopped into small bits
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 a cayenne pepper, seeded, finely chopped
- 2-3 tbsp rice wine or white wine
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 pinch white or black pepper
- 1 tbsp roasted sesame seed
- 1 handful chopped coriander
- 1 tbsp chopped scallions for cooking and 1 tbsp for garnishing
- 1L vegetable stock
- 20-25 wonton skins
- extra-virgin olive oil
For the Sichuan sauce:
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp Sichuan chilli oil
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
Method for the sauce: mix all the ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Preheat a frying pan with 2-3 tbsp of olive oil on medium heat. Cook the garlic, scallion, ginger, and cayenne pepper for 1 minute, then add the baby bok choy, baby corn, green beans, soybean skins, and a splash of rice wine. Cook for another 1-2 minutes, until the alcohol evaporates.
- Add sesame oil, soy sauce and pepper as seasoning. Cook for 10 minutes until the moisture has fully evaporated. Turn the heat off and set aside.
- Now you have the filling cooked. Next, we want to construct the wontons by wrapping the wontons with 1 tsp of the filling in the center of a wonton wrap. Dap the outer edges of the wonton skin with a little water to seal the wontons by forming a small triangular shape. Fold the two side corners with a small dap of water.
- After the wontons are made, bring a pot of vegetable stock to a boil. Add 8-10 wontons to the pot and when they start to float within 1-2 minutes, use a strainer spoon to scoop them out of the soup. Transfer the wontons to a large bowl. Repeat this same step to cook the rest of the wontons.
- Mix the Sichuan sauce with a tiny bit of vegetable stock to balance the intensity of the spiciness and the overall taste.
- Garnish with sesame seeds, chopped coriander and scallions before serving. Enjoy!