Serves: 8–10 eggplant balls
Prep time: 10–15 minutes
Cooking time: approx. 1 hour
- 1 medium size eggplant, finely diced
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, left whole
- 1-1 ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 1 bowl cooked brown rice
- ½ can lentils
- 2 eggs
- 3-4 tbsp chickpea flour
- 2 tbsp chopped spring onion
- 1 tsp finely chopped ginger
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp mixed spice powder (allspice, nutmeg, coriander, cinnamon or any other spices)
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC. On a baking tray, drizzle 2-3 tbsp of olive oil over the eggplant and garlic. Season well and roast for about 20-25 minutes until cooked through. Remove from the oven.
- Once cool enough to handle, blend together with 1 cup of breadcrumbs in a food processor until smooth. Reserve the extra breadcrumbs to sprinkle before baking.
- Transfer the eggplant mixture to a large mixing bowl. Mix in the brown rice, lentils, eggs, chickpea flour, spring onion, chopped ginger, soy sauce, and mixed spice powder. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Use your hands to make each small eggplant ball (polpetta) and sprinkle more breadcrumbs around each polpetta. Transfer these little polpetta to a baking tray with a baking sheet. Roast for around 25-30 minutes.
TIP: Serve the eggplant polpetta with whatever sauce you like. I usually serve them with sriracha yogurt and mayo sauce.