Joint pain isn’t restricted to the old; it’s a condition that affects younger bodies, often beginning as young as 30. Inflammation is a common source of joint discomfort, and there’s a remedy that’s incredibly easy to implement. Simply by eating certain foods with natural anti-inflammatory properties, you can greatly reduce stiffness and swelling to potentially avoid painful joints altogether.
Here are some of the best foods for keeping your knees normal and your hips healthy:
- Fatty fish like salmon, sardines, cod and herring. These oily fish are rich in omega-3 fatty acids that can help to alleviate osteoarthritis symptoms.
- Fruits like cherries, papaya, citrus fruits, pineapple and berries are all known for their antioxidant compounds that fight against inflammation.
- Leafy greens and vegetables such as sweet peppers, broccoli and spinach will help to ease joint pain with their loaded supply of antioxidants and anti-inflammatories, especially when eaten raw, which keeps the antioxidants intact so that the body can make the best use of them. Orange vegetables like carrots and butternut squash are also strong inflammation fighters because of their high beta-carotene levels.
- The curcumin in turmeric is a big inflammation-battling antioxidant and makes an excellent addition to any healthy joint diet.
- Nuts such as Brazil nuts and walnuts are rich in antioxidants and healthy fats that can help to repair damage caused by inflammation.
- Ginger is a powerful spice that helps joint pain by blocking the enzymes that promote inflammation.
- Extra-virgin olive oil contains polyphenols – antioxidants that can protect the body from inflammation.
Incorporating these foods into your everyday meal plan can bring flexibility and comfort back into your precious joints as well as contributing to preventing joint pain from happening in the first place. Plus, they’re all pretty delicious, so why wouldn’t you indulge in them?