Summer is here in full swing, and with it comes fun outdoor activities – and sometimes discomfort from allergens in the air. It's normal for your body to react to certain triggers that cause an overreaction and alertness, resulting in symptoms such as a runny nose, watery eyes, headache and stomach disorders. The reaction begins in the immune system, which goes into overdrive, leading to fatigue.
Here are some tips to help to combat summer allergies:
- Boost your immune system with health supplements like vitamin C, amino acids, iron, potassium, magnesium and probiotics. Blue-green algae like spirulina and chlorella help in building a strong immune system.
- Food-based boosters that help build immunity are spices like turmeric, ginger, cinnamon, clove and black pepper. Superfoods are full of rich antioxidants and trace minerals that also help in building strength and immunity. Examples are goji, açai, golden berries and cacao and maca powders, which are great for smoothies and shakes.
- Lighten the carb load! Avoid starchy foods and eat more watery veggies like summer squash, courgettes, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, kale and lettuce.
- 'Berry up' your diet with strawberries and blueberries, as well as citrus fruits like oranges and lemons.
- Drink your food with smoothies and protein shakes filled with antioxidants, amino acids and vital nutrients to boost your immune system.
- Stay hydrated – drink water infused with mint or lemon slices for a natural, quick boost. Try chlorophyll water, which adds antioxidants and active minerals to your system. Build a healthy gut with probiotics and fermented foods. Fermented foods like apple cider vinegar, tonics, kombucha and non-dairy yoghurt help to keep the gut strong and avoid triggers to allergic reactions.
- Essential oils are a great source of support to relieve mould and humidity, which are culprits in triggering allergic reactions in Hong Kong. The key essential oils for summer are clove, peppermint, lemon and eucalyptus. Use in a diffuser or simply add a few drops to a cup of hot water and inhale.
Immunity Booster Shot Recipe
- ¼ tsp organic ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp organic ground turmeric
- 1 tsp organic raw honey
- 1 tbsp organic fresh ginger juice
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 5–6 tbsp water
Blend all ingredients or shake well and consume first thing in the morning!