A great way to start the day right or a healthy, energy-laden snack when fatigue sets in, Punam Chopra’s raw sprouted granola is a wonderful combination of crunchy and sticky, with just the right amount of sweetness. The recipe calls for a dehydrator, however, if you don’t have one at home, you can use your regular oven turned to its lowest setting. You may need to experiment a little with timings, but 6–8 hours is a good starting point.
- ½ cup raw almonds
- ½ cup raw cashews
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- ½ cup pitted dates
- ½ cup figs
- ¼ cup white sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (grade B)
- Soak the almonds, cashews and pumpkin seeds overnight. Drain the excess water and set aside.
- Soak the sunflower seeds for 1 hour. Drain the excess water and set aside.
- Wash the dates and figs, pat dry and cut into small pieces.
- Wash the sesame seeds and drain the excess water.
- Place all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and add maple syrup. Mix well.
- Spread the mixture in a thin layer on dehydrator trays and set the timer for 13 hours.
- Once done, place in a jar with a tight lid. Store in a cool, dry place, away from sunlight.
- Serve as a snack or breakfast as is or with yoghurt or milk (dairy or non-dairy) and fresh fruits.
Recipe by Punam Chopra, founder of SpiceBox Organics