Hong Kong has been combating COVID for more than two years, and this fifth wave has hit us especially hard, leaving us more exhausted than ever. South Africa experienced the same magnitude of disruption in 2020, and the people of that nation might understand what Hong Kong is going through now.
This year’s annual SPECTACULAR South Africa campaign will feature a #SACheersHK photo competition. Consumers just need to share a photo of themselves enjoying South African wine, either alone or with friends, on their Facebook or Instagram page with the hashtags #SACheersHK and #WOSAHK. The WOSA team will choose the 10 photos that convey the most upbeat messages. The winners will each receive a South African hamper packed with three bottles of wines, limited-edition WOSA tumblers and popular South African snacks.
The photo competition is open to anyone over the age of 18. All photos must be posted by 30 April and multiple entries are allowed. The winners will be announced by 10 May. More information can be found on the WOSA HK website, WOSAHK Facebook page and @wosahk Instagram page.
South Africa is the oldest wine country in the New World, with 363 years of winemaking history. Its wine is diverse and exciting, and its quality rivals some of the greatest wines from around the world. Participating wine shops are putting together different SPECTACULAR South Africa wine packs to help wine lovers to explore these South African gems, including:
- AA Badenhorst six bottles Discovery Case from Ginsberg+Chan Wine Merchants Asia (AA Badenhorst is one of the Swartland revolutionaries that transformed the region’s wine landscape)
- South African wine hampers from Springbok Wines that include various South African wines and other goodies
- Impala Sampler from Wine Impala for a delicious introduction to the Cape Winelands
- Curated gift with any six bottles of South African wine from Crushed Wines, a boutique wine shop focused on small-batch wines from around the world
- South African curated wine box from La Cabane Wine Cellar, a natural wine shop in Central
- 5+1 South African wine pack from Toast for Wine, with a bottle of Leopard’s Leap Pinotage Shiraz given for free with any purchase of five bottles of South African wine
- 7 x South African wine packs from wine’n’things at 20% off
In addition, Mirage Bar & Restaurant at Renaissance Hong Kong Harbour View Hotel will be offering a South African wine buffet with an unlimited selection of Mannenberg Wines for 90 minutes, while La Cabane Bistro will serve a selection of South African wine by the glass, made with minimal intervention.
Other online and retail wines shops are also offering special discounts on South African wine during the month of April. The full list of offers will be updated here.
It’s harvest time in South Africa now. Although winemakers are busy, they are keen to share their harvest moments and wine with HK wine lovers. WOSA is planning a series of Zoom tastings with them, and the schedule will be shared on the WOSA website and Facebook.
In the meantime, Hong Kong’s SOMM ACE will host two happy-hour sessions on South African wine over Zoom: South African Chenin Blanc on Saturday, 16 April from 5–6pm and South African red on Saturday, 30 April from 5–6pm. For enquiries and tickets, click here.
Let South Africa bring you smiles and sunshine this April!
For more wine articles like this, like Foodie on Facebook