The third wave of COVID-19 took us all by surprise. Before we knew it, quarantine was rearing its ugly head again. We know how especially tough it is to stay indoors during these gorgeous summer months, so why not whip up these indulgent cookies to fight off the blues?
This recipe and video tutorial from howdoughyoudo feature fudgy chocolate cookies coated in a crunchy sugar coating and stuffed with a creamy peanut butter surprise. Salty and sweet, this marriage of peanut butter and chocolate will have your taste buds singing. Try microwaving them for an ultra-gooey experience.
We could all use some life advice from Cookie Monster now… Stay home and bake, folks!
Photo credit: Smitten with Him
Makes: 9 generous cookies
For the peanut butter filling:
- 100g peanut butter (make sure it’s not the runny kind)
- 30g icing sugar
- ½ tsp salt
For the cookie dough:
- 90g melted butter
- 70g brown sugar
- 50g white sugar + extra for coating the dough balls
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp milk powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp instant espresso powder
- 30g cocoa powder
- 160g plain flour
- 180g add-ins of your choice (e.g., chocolate chips, crisps, peanuts, Oreo chunks)
- Begin by making the peanut butter filling. Mix the peanut butter, icing sugar and salt until a smooth paste forms. Portion out heaped teaspoonfuls of the filling onto a lined baking tray. Freeze the portioned filling for at least an hour.
- Meanwhile, make the cookie dough. In a large bowl, combine the melted butter and both types of sugars. Crack in the egg and add the vanilla extract, mixing well.
- Add the salt, milk powder, baking soda and espresso powder. Give the mixture a brief stir.
- Sift in the cocoa powder and flour, then add your add-ins (try adding crisps for the ultimate salty-sweet experience). Gently fold in the dry ingredients until no flour specks remain, being careful not to overmix. Refrigerate the dough for at least an hour.
- When the dough is almost ready, preheat your oven to 180°C.
- To form each cookie, flatten a tablespoon of dough and put a portion of the peanut butter filling into the centre. Then flatten another tablespoon of dough to envelop the filling. Roll the big dough ball in your hands until it’s smooth.
- Prepare a small bowl of white sugar. Toss the dough balls in the sugar until they’re well coated, then transfer them to a baking tray, ensuring that they have enough room to spread out (they should resemble doughnut holes).
- Bake the cookies for 13–16 minutes, or until the edges have firmed up. Keep an eye on them as they are quite easy to overbake. They will look puffy when they first come out of the oven but will deflate as they cool.
- Let them cool on the tray for around 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Try not to eat them all in one sitting!
Watch the video tutorial here:
For more awesome recipes like this, like Foodie on Facebook