Hanger, or butcher’s, steak is tasty yet can be a tricky cut if not prepared correctly. Trust us, Rhoda Rivera from @platesandbubbles knows!
The meat in this cut beautifully absorbs rich flavours, so Rhoda decided to use her own rub as a marinade. Rhoda put the meat in the fridge for two hours to marinate, then gave it a quick pan-sear. Easy and absolutely delicious!
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp coconut sugar or brown sugar
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 limes, juiced
- Mix all the dry ingredients, including the garlic, into a ball. Rub them on the steak.
- Pour over the vinegar, olive oil and lime juice. Make sure you cover the entire meat surface with all the wet and dry ingredients.
- Cover and keep in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Heat some olive oil and/or butter in a frying pan, put in the meat and sear for 5–6 min on each side for medium doneness (depending on the thickness of the cut).
- If you have an oven, sear the meat for 4 min on each side, then pop it into the oven for 10 min at 150°C.
- Let rest for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
meatmarket.hk is a customised online butcher and grocery service – cut to order, how you want it and when you want it. They support good ingredients that are produced locally and around the world such as hormone- and chemical-free meat items and sustainably sourced seafood with certifications.
meatmarket.hk has also created a space in their food factory to support and encourage FoodPreneurs looking to take that next step. Their co-share kitchen offers a generous commercial space to produce fabulous dishes and host product and cooking demonstrations, cooking classes, culinary workshops, private parties and more.