Prep time: 4 hours
For the tiramisu base:
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
- 250g mascarpone
- ½ tsp saffron powder
- 10 amaretti biscuits, crushed
- 8 sponge fingers, halved
- 1 cup espresso, chilled
- dark chocolate shavings, to garnish
For the mixed berry compote:
- 250g mixed berries, plus extra to garnish
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- ½ lemon, juiced
- Whip the egg yolks and brown sugar until they become a thick mousse. Mix in the mascarpone and saffron and whip until smooth.
- Crush the amaretti biscuits and sprinkle the crumbs as the base of each dessert glass. Lightly dip the halved sponge fingers into the espresso, one at a time, then assemble quickly so that they are laying next to each other in the dessert glass.
- Evenly layer 1 tbsp or so of the saffron mascarpone cream on top of the sponge fingers. Sprinkle more amaretti crumbs on top of each tiramisu, along with some shaved dark chocolate. Cover with cling film and refrigerate for 3–4 hours.
- To serve, cook the mixed berries with the sugar and lemon juice in a small saucepan on medium heat until the berries break down and reach a jam-like consistency.
- Top each tiramisu with berry compote. Garnish with fresh berries.