Prep time: 15 min
Cooking time: 30 min
- 100g brown rice flour
- 100g tapioca starch
- 50g sorghum flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 ½ cups plain full-fat Greek yoghurt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Pizza sauce (or use your favourite jarred sauce):
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 2 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients and whisk together.
- Mix together the Greek yoghurt and oil. Add to the dry ingredients.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients with a fork until the dough comes together (it will be sticky).
- Shape the dough into a ball.
- Using tapioca starch, lightly dust a sheet of parchment paper that’s large enough for the rolled-out pizza crust (the paper size should be about the size of your oven rack, wider than it is tall, if making one large pizza). Place dough in the centre of the parchment paper.
- Work the dough a few times to smooth it out, dusting the paper and your hands as necessary with tapioca starch so that the dough doesn’t stick.
- Dust a rolling pin with tapioca starch and gently roll out the dough, dusting the rolling pin as needed.
- Use your fingers to finish pressing out the dough. Roll up the edges, if desired. Again, dust your fingers with tapioca starch as necessary.
- Poke holes in the crust with a fork.
- Having a firm hold of the parchment paper, transfer the crust and paper to an oven rack set in the upper part of the oven. Bake for 15 min.
- Carefully remove the crust from the oven by holding the parchment paper on the sides, just as you did when placing the crust in the oven (the paper will be cool enough for you to handle with bare hands – just don't touch the oven itself). Place on a cooling rack. Once the crust is done, you can prepare the pizza straight away with toppings or keep the crust available for use later.
- Increase oven temperature to 220°C.
- Mix together all ingredients for the pizza sauce.
- Top the crust with the pizza sauce, cheese of your choice and your favourite toppings.
- Again, use the parchment paper to transfer the pizza to an oven rack. Bake for 10–15 min, or until the cheese is golden and bubbly.
- Remove from the oven, holding the parchment paper on either side of the pizza, and transfer to a cooling rack.
- Let cool 5 min before slicing.
- Bake the crust ahead of time for use later in the day – or even the next day!
- Brush the crust edges with olive oil. Use seasoned olive oil for a more flavourful crust.
- For an extra kick, mix ½ tsp chilli flakes into your pizza sauce before spreading on the crust.
- If you want to eat the leftover pizza, reheat the slices in the oven for about 5 min at 200°C. The crust will be just like it’s been first baked!
- For detailed instructions – with images – on how to make this recipe, check out the recipe on my website.