Prep time: 15 min
Cooking time: 10 min
- 6 salmon fillets (about 680g total)
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1½ tbsp miso paste
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp light olive oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce (can substitute tamari or liquid aminos)
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp honey
- In a small saucepan, toast the sesame seeds over medium heat for about 3–4 minutes, until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly.
- In a small bowl, combine the miso paste, mirin, olive oil, soy sauce, ginger, garlic and honey. Stir in the toasted sesame seeds.
- Preheat the grill (see the recipe notes for baking vs grilling).
- Coat the salmon fillets in the miso sauce and place on a parchment- or foil-lined baking tray. If using salmon fillets with the skin on, place them skin side up.
- Grill a few inches away from the heating element for 10 min, watching closely so that the salmon does not burn.
- Serve with steamed rice and leafy green vegetables.
- If you have large salmon fillets, cut them into serving-sized portions so that they cook evenly.
- If baking instead of grilling, preheat your oven to 220°C and bake for 8–10 minutes in the centre of the oven.
- The time may need to be adjusted depending on how thick your salmon fillets are.
- You can purchase toasted sesame seeds if you do not want to toast your own.
- This recipe works perfectly with skinless salmon fillets as well as skin-on fillets.
- For detailed instructions – with images – on how to make this recipe, check out the recipe on my website.