This recipe features a moist vanilla cake with juicy blueberry pearls that add a level of zing, plus a crumble topping to bring it all together. It’s perfect for a tea party or even warmed up for breakfast. Once gone stale, it can be used to make toast (or even French toast, for that matter). It also travels well since it holds its shape.
You could use raspberries, strawberries, blackberries or rhubarb instead of blueberries – or a mixture of them together!
Serves: 8 generous slices
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30–35 minutes
For the cake:
- 1 egg
- 150g caster sugar
- 5 tbsp vegetable oil
- 230g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 120ml whole milk
- 250g blueberries
- pinch of salt
For the crumble topping:
- 50g unsalted butter, melted
- 100g brown sugar
- 50g plain flour
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp chopped almonds, toasted
- To make the crumble topping, mix all the ingredients together (ensure that the melted butter has completely cooled down first or else it will adversely affect the crumble’s texture).
- To make the cake, preheat oven to 160°C. Line a large loaf tin with oil and baking paper.
- Whisk the egg and sugar together until pale and fluffy. Add the oil and mix further using a stand mixer.
- Add the flour, baking powder and milk and whisk to combine. Fold in the blueberries and add the salt.
- Transfer the batter to the loaf tin and sprinkle with the crumble topping. Bake for 30–35 minutes, or until golden and risen. Garnish with the toasted almonds.
- Slice once cooled. Serve warm.
For more recipes like this, like Foodie on Facebook