Prep time: 30 min
Cooking time: 30 min
For the burgers:
- 500g lamb mince
- 2 tsp garlic paste
- 2 tbsp chopped mint
- 2 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tsp ground smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
For the cucumber and mint yoghurt:
- ½ large cucumber
- 200g Greek yoghurt
- 1 tbsp chopped mint
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
For the red pepper relish:
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 250g halloumi cheese
- 1 red onion
- crisp lettuce leaves
- 4 burger buns
- To make the burgers, place the mince in a bowl with the garlic, herbs and spices. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well. Divide the mix into 4 patties and place on an oiled plate. Cover with cling film and refrigerate until ready to cook.
- To make the cucumber and mint yoghurt, deseed the cucumber and chop into small cubes. Combine the cucumber with the yoghurt, mint and olive oil.
- To make the relish, preheat the oven to 200°C. Rub the peppers with olive oil and place on a baking sheet. Roast for 20–30 min, or until the skin is charred. Place the peppers in a bowl and cover with cling film, allowing the peppers to steam for 10 min. Once steamed, remove from the bowl. Peel the skin from both peppers and remove the core and any liquid inside. Finely chop the softened peppers and place in a bowl. Add the chopped parsley, oil, vinegar and a pinch of salt and pepper and stir to combine. Set aside.
- To cook the burgers, heat a drizzle of olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Once the pan is hot, cook the burgers for 5–6 min on one side, or until golden. Flip and cook for a further 5–6 min on the other side, or until cooked through. Place the burgers on a large plate, cover with foil and allow to rest for 2 min.
- While the burgers rest, chop the halloumi into 8 slices and place in a dry frying pan. Cook for 1–2 min, or until golden on each side. Chop the red onion into rings and wash the lettuce leaves.
- To assemble each burger, toast the buns until slightly crisp. Spread 1 tsp yoghurt mix on the insides of each bun. Top the bottom half with a rested lamb burger, 2 slices of halloumi and some red onion rings. Add a spoonful of red pepper relish, some lettuce leaves and the top half of the burger bun.
Related: Do a cook-off with another lamb burger recipe by meatmarket.hk