I don’t know about you, but a nice piece of cake with a cup of tea after a stressful day can do wonders to lift my spirits. I think many people who are working at home at the moment may need to take some time out to unwind, and for me, cake baking (and eating!) lifts my energy levels.
This is a great cake, crammed with almonds, a super immune booster. It’s a rich, moist cake that I discovered one day when I suddenly fancied some cake but didn’t have flour or butter in the house... but I did have a pack of flaked almonds. So I whizzed up my flaked almonds in my small food blender and voila!
The recipe below can be doubled if you want a larger cake. This one will give you four small servings (moderation is key). You can serve it on its own or with a dollop of freshly whipped cream and some strawberries, which is a heavenly combination.
Prep time: 20 min
Cooking time: 35 min
- 2 eggs
- 50g caster sugar
- 70g ground almonds
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp apple cider vinegar
- sprinkle of salt
- sprinkle of cinnamon
- flaked almonds, for topping
- Preheat oven to 180°C and grease and line a small (14cm) cake tin.
- Separate the egg yolks and whites into two different bowls.
- Beat the egg yolks and lemon zest with a third of the sugar until smooth, then set aside.
- Beat the egg whites. When they are bright white and foamy, beat in the vinegar and salt. When the whites start holding their shape, beat in another third of the sugar until the mixture forms soft peaks.
- In a separate bowl, add the ground almonds, baking powder, remaining third of sugar and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Beat together the yolk mixture with the almond mixture until a paste forms.
- Gradually fold the white mixture into the yolk mixture and blend gently together.
- Pour into the baking tin and sprinkle on some flaked almonds.
- Pop into the oven for 30–35 minutes, until golden brown and firm to the touch.
For more awesome recipes like this, like Foodie on Facebook