Have you decided to eat healthy and sustainably, only to look on in dismay as your friends munch on juicy, mouth-watering burger patties? Put away that sour look – we’ve got good news for you.
Not only does Sustenir’s kale help to lower your carbon footprint (since it’s grown locally), but kale is a good source of beta-carotene, the carotenoid that the body converts into vitamin A as needed.
Vitamin A is needed for the growth and maintenance of all body tissues, including the skin and hair. Vitamin C is also abundant in kale, which the body uses to build and maintain the collagen that, in turn, provides structure for the skin, hair and bones. All very sexy stuff!
Get yourself some burger buns to form delicious, plant-based burgers or just have the patties as a side to some rice. And there you have it – an alternative to meat patties that’s good for the earth and your body.
Makes: 10 small patties
- 65g Sustenir Toscano Kale
- 50g OmniPork
- 500g sweet potato
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tsp potato starch
- ½ medium onion, diced
- ½ tsp chopped garlic
- ½ tsp salt
- 2–3 tsp cooking oil
- Tear small pieces off the stems of the Sustenir Toscano Kale, discarding these stems and placing the leaves into a bowl.
- Steam the sweet potato. Once it’s cooked, remove the skin and mash it.
- Add the water and potato starch to the sweet potato.
- Add the oil to a pan and stir-fry the Sustenir Toscano Kale leaves, OmniPork, onion and garlic along with the salt until cooked.
- Mix all the cooked ingredients into the mashed sweet potato.
- Divide the mixture into 10 small patties.
- Pan-fry the patties until golden on both sides.
For more vegetarian recipes like this, like Foodie on Facebook