With this granola, we have gone completely sugar free – a grown-up granola, if you like.
Ours still delivers the requisite extreme crunch, but rather than achieving it by baking with masses of oil and sugar, here egg whites do a much lighter and healthier job. Serve with yoghurt and add a dollop of raw fruit jam or some dried fruit and you’ll have all the sweetness you need.
- 50g unsalted cashews
- 100g jumbo oats
- 50g Brazil nuts, chopped
- 50g flaked almonds
- 25g flaxseeds
- 25g amaranth
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- good pinch of sea salt
- 3 egg whites
- Preheat oven to 150°C. Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper.
- Roughly crush the cashews with the back of a spoon, then mix with the remaining dry ingredients.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form, then add to the dry ingredients, stirring thoroughly with a metal spoon until all the ingredients are fully coated.
- Spread the mixture on the prepared tray and bake for 40 minutes, stirring after 20 minutes to break up the granola a bit. Leave to cool completely.
- Transfer the granola to an airtight container and store for up to three weeks.
The Midlife Kitchen: Health-Boosting Recipes for Midlife & Beyond, written by Mimi Spencer and Sam Rice, is published by Mitchell Beazley.
For more awesome recipes like this, like Foodie on Facebook