Perfect for a healthy mid-week meal, or starter for two, this farinata recipe is the easiest thing to whip up.
Serves: 2 small farinata (I used a small 8 inch ovenproof skillet)
Prep time: around 40 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 1 cup chickpea flour (aka gram, garbanzo bean or besan flour)
- 1 tbsp chopped rosemary
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 small garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for cooking
- ½- 1 cup water (depending on your flour)
- 1 eggplant, thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- handful of olives
- 2 - 3 tbsp grated mozzarella *optional for vegans
- To make the mixture, whisk together the chickpea flour, chopped rosemary, salt, pepper, garlic, olive oil, and water in a large bowl. Add a little water at the time as the consistency should resemble pancake batter.
- Set aside and let the mixture rest for 20 - 30 minutes.
- Preheat a skillet in the oven with a drizzle of olive oil at 200ºC.
- Once the skillet is hot, remove it from the oven. Pour half of the pancake mixture onto the skillet and assemble the toppings except for the grated cheese. Bake for about 10 minutes then add the grated cheese and bake for another 3–5 minutes.
- Transfer to a plate make the next farinata.